Yoga has a rich history that spans thousands of years, evolving and adapting to meet the needs of practitioners across the globe.
One of the innovative developments in the world of yoga is the creation of the Great Yoga Wall. This unique tool has revolutionized the practice, offering both beginners and seasoned yogis a dynamic and supportive way to deepen their practice. Let's delve into the history of the Great Yoga Wall and explore its numerous benefits.
The wall rope system was initially inspired by the use of hooks in the wall in B.K.S. Iyengar's teachings. In the late 1960s and early 70s, he started working with ropes attached to the wall.
In the 1980s, Kedric Wolfe, Aadil Palkhivala Co-Founder of Purna Yoga, and Bryan Legere created The Great Yoga Wall™, an infinitely adjustable version of the Iyengar rope wall that took traction to the next level.
The result was a modular wall system with adjustable straps, harnesses, and support bars that could be customized to accommodate practitioners of all levels.
Benefits of the Great Yoga Wall:
1. Alignment and Precision: The wall acts as a guide, allowing practitioners to align their bodies with precision. This is especially beneficial for beginners who may struggle with correct posture and alignment.
2. Increased Flexibility: The adjustable straps and harnesses provide support for stretches and poses, allowing practitioners to gradually increase their flexibility over time.
3. Deepening Asanas: The wall enables individuals to explore deeper variations of poses that may be challenging without support. This facilitates a gradual progression in the practice of advanced asanas.
4. Inversion Therapy: The Great Yoga Wall facilitates safe and controlled inversions. Inversions have numerous health benefits, including improved circulation, reduced stress, and increased mental clarity.
5. Therapeutic Applications: The wall is widely used in therapeutic yoga settings to aid individuals in recovery from injuries or those with physical limitations. It provides a secure environment for rehabilitation and healing.
6. Builds Strength: The resistance provided by the wall enhances muscle engagement, helping practitioners build strength in a controlled manner.
The Great Yoga Wall stands as a testament to the evolution of yoga, adapting ancient practices to suit the needs of modern practitioners. This innovative tool has become a valuable addition to yoga studios worldwide. Its benefits extend beyond the physical, offering a supportive and enriching experience for practitioners of all levels, making yoga more accessible and enjoyable for a diverse range of individuals.
In our studio in Helsinki we have 14 yoga wall places, the wall is used extensively in every class. We also offer special yoga wall classes and workshops like the Anti-aging series developed by Aadil Palkhivala.